High barriers to entry have prevented many South Africans from accessing subscription TV. The level of penetration of subscription TV households in South Africa (currently around 35% of colour television households) is far behind other global markets. In the UK for example, every second TV home is subscribing to Pay TV services.
With its brand new offering, ODM intends to expand the South African subscription TV market by providing its viewers with more choice and affordability.
ODM’s success will be based on:
- An innovative Pay TV offering with affordability and real choice for all
- Extensive understanding of South African market needs, in particular through extensive market research
- Its status as a truly South African company with 68% BEE
- A mixture of local and renowned international partners each with specific complementary industrial skills and assets such as quality content
- Expertise in technology, marketing, and the operation of a satellite Pay TV business
- Secured appropriate local and international funding for successful launch
- Contributing to the support and development of the local broadcast industry
- Its commitment to skills transfer and development (ASGISA/JIPSA)